We are committed to providing an excellent research service. We aim to provide information which is of a high standard. We are as thorough and as accurate as possible with any research we carry out and make every reasonable effort to substantiate our findings. We keep in regular email contact with our clients throughout the research process.
If you wish us to conduct research for you, you will need to provide:
- Details of what you would like to have researched
- Any details/information you may already have either from research conducted by yourself or a professional, including dates and places of births, marriages and deaths
It is the client’s responsibility to provide us with accurate information in which to begin any research on their behalf. We cannot be held responsible if inaccurate information is provided.
There will be times when records are illegible or no longer exist or often transcriptions will contain errors and this can affect any research. There will be occasions when we may not be able to provide positive results. This can be for any number of reasons beyond our control:
- Documents may no longer exist
- Documents may be severely damaged and no longer legible
- There may be a lack of documents relating to a particular area or family
- Documents may be restricted due to law
- Surnames such as Smith and Jones can be difficult to research due to their frequency and as such can take up more research time
Unfortunately, even if nothing is found research time will still have to be charged for.
Currently, hourly research is charged at £15.00 per hour. We do not charge for local travel costs or time spent traveling. Included in our hourly rate:
- Time spent researching
- Access to subscription internet sites
- Writing up of any reports
- Communication with the client by email
- Administration costs; stationary and printing
Possible extra costs are:
- Costs of extra certificates @ £9.25 per certificate (this is the current GRO rate; we do not charge extra).
- Copying of any documents as requested and agreed with.
- Any extra postage/printing costs – for example any documents requested to be sent by recorded delivery.
- Postage costs for document abroad. 2nd Class postage in the United Kingdom is included.
- Costs of telephone calls. Email contact is included in the price quoted.
The price quoted for our research packages is the price you will pay. Please see our research page for what is included in each package. However if you are happy with the results and would like to have further research conducted this will be charged at an extra cost which will be discussed and agreed with before beginning.
A deposit is requested before any work begins. The amount is dependent on what type of work the client requests. Once the research has been carried out, you will be invoiced. Please note that no results will be sent until payment has been received and cleared. Payment is accepted by:
- Cheque, made payable to Samantha Bourne
- By Paypal (Credit Card). There is an additional charge of 5% to cover Paypal charges
People Detective retains the right to withhold documents and any research results until full payment has been received.
We never pass on any details to outside parties and we are registered with the Information Commissioner.