The British Library has released over 1 million images onto Flickr. The images are from out of copyright books from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries which the library digitised in partnership with Microsoft. There is a mix of illustrations; maps, geological diagrams, comical satire, landscapes, wall paintings and more. The British Library blog states “We want to collaborate with researchers and anyone else with a good idea for how to markup, classify and explore this set with an aim to improve the data and to improve and add to the tagging. We are looking to crowdsource information about what is depicted in the images themselves, as well as using analytical methods to interpret them as a whole.” You can read the blog here and see the images here.
- The Execution of the Earl of Derby Nov 23, 2020
- Ghostly Encounters on Blackburn Road and Churchgate, Bolton Oct 31, 2020
- A Curious Headstone May 2, 2020
- A Curious Indenture of Apprenticeship May 1, 2019
- Robert Rothwell the Schoolmaster Apr 30, 2019